Harvard University psychologist, Howard Gardner had a pluralistic view of the mind, and recognized the many discrete facets of cognition. Gardner defines intelligences as the ability to solve problems or to fashion products that are valued in one or more cultural settings. Gardner acknowledged that people have different cognitive strengths as well as different cognitive styles. Gardner, in his theory of multiple intelligences, identified eight intelligences, which are like talents and gifts and many combinations of the eight are possible.
Gardners' eight intelligences are:
- Linguistic intelligence ("word smart")
- Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
- Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
- Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
- Musical intelligence ("music smart")
- Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
- Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")
- Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")
The Activity Studios are equipped with tools that help in identification and provide basis for differentiated learning as per their intellegences. We believe participation in the arts develops creativity. In the coming age of global communication and rapid technology advances, our society will value creative abilities as never before. Through the arts, children can easily access basic skills necessary for academic success throughout their school years.
Suncity School has dedicated activity centres called Labs to honour creative abilities through a deeply enriching performing arts curriculum.
- The Gayan Labs are dedicated to Indian Vocal and Instrumental music. Classical, Folk, Shloka chanting – are the various genres experienced by the students.
- The Nritya Lab is dedicated to the practice of Indian Classical, Folk and Contemporary Dance.
- The Lyrical Lab concentrates on Western Vocal and Instrumental Music.
- The Calisthenic Lab focuses on the students’ abilities regarding international dance forms such as Salsa, Hip Hop, Contemporary etc.